Highlights for Exam 101
Before taking the exam, consider in mind to give braindumps a try, use www.examcollection.com and navigate to LPI page, to get a clue of what kind of questions may appear on the examץ
Please notice, these are highlights only, there are many things you need to know, this is just an overview on some of them and I’ve collected things I came across with during the tests! this isn’t enough to get prepared.
- Be sure you know what environment variables are and what do we need them for, use echo $PATH to find out your own, set some of your own to get a clue how it’s done with PATH=$PATH:/your-environment-variables or with the export command.
- Get sharp with the bash shell commands, text editing (vi) and streaming with sed, piping with |, redirecting sterr stdout stdin with > and more.
- Get familiar with text processing filters such as cut, grep , head, tail, join, uniq, paste split, tr, wc, diff.
- Get familiar with copying, moving, creating , deleting files and directories with rm,cp,mv,mkdir,touch.
- Understand the linux system hierarchy system and understand what goes where under the top root directory and the sub-directories like /usr/ ,logs and mail at /var , /proc , configuration files at /etc and the rest of their friends.
- Perform basic search with locate (updatedb), find and whereis, whatis, apropos
- monitor, kill, re-nice running processes with top,kill,renice,nice,ps,pstree and more. get familiar with the differences between the killsignals.
- job control with bg, fg, jobs (&)
- Partitioning commands and creating partitions with mkswap, fdisk, mkfs.
- Maintain integrity of the filesystems with df, du and fsck and get to know the types of existing filesystems (ext2,3,4 nfs, swap, vfat and more)
- Set disk quota with quotaon, quotaoff, repquota, edquota, quotacheck and check quota for users.
- Know the file permissions differences, and octal formats (e.g 777, -rwxrwxrwx) how to change the file owner / group with chown chgrp command and how to change permissions with chmod.
- Know the differences between hard and soft links (ln command)
- Lilo and Grub boot loaders (Lilo is planned to be dropped or may have been dropped already from the corriculum)
- Boot time messages and kernel loggings (/var/log/dmesg /var/log/messages)
- Runlevels 0 to 6 and their startup/kill scripts.
- How to use the man pages properly (pipe with less or more)
- /etc/passwd and /etc/group ( and /etc/shadow,/etc/gshadow)
- Adding & deleting new users with useradd & userdel, changing existing parameters for an exisiting user with usermod , same goes for adding new groups and with groupadd and groupmod. and change user aging and expiration settings with chage.
- Know the differences between /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc, and know that changes to them affect users all over the system.
- Automating tasks with at and cronjobs (/etc/crontab and crontab -e)
- Get familiar with system backups with mt and tar